I’ve been browsing Pinterest again. I came across a drop cloth wreath, went to check out the tutorial, and went down a rabbit hole. Long story short… I decided I needed one of those in my life.
To start with the instructions were vague at best, but who needs instructions anyways. I could have ordered the proper wire wreath form but who needs a proper wire wreath form anyways. Not me.
I headed out to the workshop and grabbed some chicken wire at Jims suggestion. I rolled it once around and cut it off tucking in any sharp pieces. I then took the two ends and joined them together twisting the wires together until it was good and sturdy. I just shaped and flattened it where it needed to be. Do you follow? This is what I was starting with.
With the form ready I got out my scrap drop cloth material left over from when I made drapes, placemats, runners and pillows. I cut out a template for a leaf shape and traced it onto the material. The tutorial called for about 50 leaves but didn’t say what size they were. So I cut out 50 leaves.
With leaves and a wreath form ready, I got my hot glue gun heated up and put a dab on the end of each leaf, pinching them together. This will give the wreath some dimension.
Now we were ready to make magic. I started by glueing each leaf to the form and quickly realized that 50 leaves weren’t going to cut it.
Jim is just full of great ideas. I showed him my progress and was complaining that the open weave of the chicken wire meant I was having a hard time covering holes between the leaves. His suggestion was to wrap the wreath form in wide packing tape and that would give me something to glue onto. Told you he was full of great ideas…he makes my life easier!!
Time to cut out more leaves.
Lots more tracing, cutting and glueing and it was actually starting to look like something. There was one point where doubt crept in but I was sort of committed at that point. So I pushed on.
What was supposed to be a quick afternoon project turned into an afternoon and evening project. But I kept going wanting to see the final result.
Remember how the tutorial called for 50 leaves? Yeah well that was crap. This wreath has 198 leaves. That is One hundred and ninety eight leaves.
If you attempt to make your own just be aware that you will need lots of leaves and patience. Oh and a wire wreath form might come in handy too, unless you have a stash of chicken wire that is.
Hello folks. We are still here, just busy. I wanted to show you how we went about wrapping posts and beams in an older home.
I mean really, how much work can it be making firewood kindling? Grab a few boards and an axe, chop it up and done. Well that’s the condensed summary version.
The kiln building is almost complete now, and testing of the drawbridge style loading door has been met with success in its initial testing.
Time to make some more covered storage. There never seems to be enough space. The woodworking shop is becoming a bit too close for comfort for some of the work to be performed. It plan is to recycle some wharf timbers and then to mill some logs to put up the buildling.
This was going to be a workout for sure. This pine log has a width that nearly is the maximum cut that the mill can make.
Our saw milling services are not just for our own use. We offer milling services for other people too, whether they are carpenters, woodworkers, craft makers or just an individual who is looking for a special board for a special project.
Shiver me timbers. It was going snow well. I won’t pine about it. I’ll just lumber on.
We had a fairly mild winter so far as snow depth is concerned. Nowhere near the brutal amount that northern New Brunswick got. The lack of snow though has meant that with the cold air, the frost has gone deep into the ground. Which is ok if you are walking and driving machines over the ground but eventually the frost has to leave and it ill make for a soppy, wet mess to deal with. This year’s to do list will involve a lot of water course management.
These hemlock part oval shaped boards were the scrap pieces from a log I cut in early 2018 to get some oval shaped plaques. I am not one to throw anything away 🙂 I set them aside, figuring at some point an idea will come along to make use of them. I figure if the Earth can invest +100 years to grow the tree, I can at least keep the pieces around for a little while longer to see what else might be possible.