Each Saturday morning I review 10 vintage logging, forestry and saw milling photos. This week’s review of vintage photos takes a look at various machinery that supporting the logging industry.
Be sure to click on each picture to see the larger images.
Shingle saw. 1907. Photographer unknown. From the collection of the Everett Public Library.
View of lumbermen hosting logs with logging machinery for Northern California Lumber Company in Siskiyou County, CA.
Rights Information: Feb 28 2019 Special permission granted by the owning institution, California State University, Chico, CA, US, to WoodchuckCanuck.com, for use of this image for historical logging special collection review. Source: cdlib.org
Inventor William M. Wilkin of Erie, Pennsyvania, claims patent to improvements to the gang saw mill whereby the sash saw is driven by steam cylinders and belts to reduce vibration., see patent 0812539 1905-10-18 WILLIAM M. WILKIN gang saw mill improvements
Patent application by Henry B. Frey of Minneapolis, MN, US. In the preferred form of the portable sawmill all parts of the plant are mounted upon and carried by a portable support, and the saw is driven by compressed air or steam operating through a straight-line reciprocating` engine. This portable sawmill is especially designed for use in lumbering-camps, and since this use is usually limited to the winter time the component parts of the plant are shown as mounted upon a large and strong flat-bottomed sled, which is capable of freely sliding over snow or ice.
Photograph shows large cut logs with loggers posed nearby, possibly at Diamond Match factory. Man on the extreme right is John Edward Hibbert.
Rights Information: Feb 28 2019 Special permission granted by the owning institution, California State University, Chico, CA, US, to WoodchuckCanuck.com, for use of this image for historical logging special collection review. Source: http://www.cdlib.org
Record Group 95-GP
Records of The Forest Service
General Subject File
1900 single man operation interior.
Interior of Machinery and repair shop – view taken from the N.E. corner, showing trip-hammer and forge in the foreground, November 1907.