Layered Flag of Nova Scotia
We’ve had the idea for this project pinned to our whiteboard for some time. With the skid steer in the shop, everything in the yard has come to a standstill. Literally. So we figured now would be a good time to work on this layered flag of Nova Scotia.
We started with our stash of weathered boards from when we dismantled our firewood storage bins last fall.
And our scrap pile…
Jim took five weathered boards of varying widths and cut them down so when assembled they measured 18 x 32 inches. Wood from the scrap pile was cut to size and used on the back to hold everything together and give us a spot to attach the hanger.
On the front, Jim cut out three pieces of weathered wood to make up the blue parts of the flag. One going from corner to corner and the other two crossing it on the diagonal.
Before we even headed out to the workshop, we printed out a flag to scale. With the back cut out it was time to turn our attention to the emblem.
We thought it looked too small so back inside to scale it a couple of inches bigger.
First up, Jim cut out the back section from a piece of 1/8th inch thick plywood and gave it a quick sanding.
While Jim set up to use the scroll saw for the rest of the project, I took the finished parts in to the paint room and gave them a weathered paint finish.
Back at the scroll saw, Jim drilled holes to feed the blade through for cutting the inside parts.
Three parts needed to be cut out, the outside stripe, the inside stripe and the lion.
Here is the outside stripe.
And the inside stripe…
Jim decided to change the spiral blade on the scroll saw to a thinner one to see if it was any easier to cut this thin material with. Look at that concentration. [Jim says; Concentration indeed, that blade is 0.032 inches thick. Or for you metric people, 0.81 mm.)
Back to the project…the lion was next.
Rather than try and sand these delicate pieces and risk one breaking, Jim used a blow torch to burn the fuzzies off the back of each piece. Then it was time for paint. These three are red on the flag and being so fragile, I refused to cart them into the paint room and attempt to paint them red for fear of breaking one or more. Spray paint to the rescue.
With all the paint dry, only thing left was assembly.
One more for ya…
Hope we get the skid steer back soon or maybe not… we could just keep scrolling along with new projects.