I bet you are saying… how can that be…no sewing. Well, I’m going to show you how I did it. But if you wanna sew, you do you.
Many years ago, like maybe 13, I made faux roman shades for downstairs. There are three double windows next to each other so they had to be exact.
For those I used the sewing machine but the material was thinner. To be honest I had a look at them and still couldn’t remember how I ever did it.
This time I only needed to make one and was using drop cloth material which I have used many times for other projects. It is quite thick. This material was left over from using a potato stamp to make pillow covers.
Before I could start cutting, I had to do some math. I figured out how far down I wanted the roman shade to hang on the window (14 or so inches), how wide, how many inches would be exposed on each fold and account for the area under the folds.
I cut the material 42.5 inches wide and 31 inches long. If you don’t have a rotary cutter and mat, you don’t know what you are missing. Love it. Only wish the mat was longer.
Once I had the material cut, I gave it another ironing then turned all four sides for a hem and ironed them in place. The top will have a rod pocket.
When I got to the corners I cut one side on the diagonal so they wouldn’t be so bulky.
With that done I was ready to
sew glue the hems. You heard that right…glue. The reason being, I plan to use paint on the fabric and therefore I won’t be able to wash them. I used the hot glue gun to attach the folded and ironed hems. Just lift the hem and run a line of glue. Quick and easy.
With the material “hemmed” on three sides and a rod pocket on the top, I was ready for paint.
I used painters tape and followed the edge of the material down one side, across the bottom, and back up the third side, leaving the top. I took a plastic scraper, but you could use anything, to press the tape down good so no paint would leak underneath.
Here is one of the corners. You can see my pencil marks for measuring but no worries, they will be covered with paint.
This material is thick enough that paint doesn’t bleed through to the back.
Two years or so ago I made drop cloth drapes for the dining room garden doors with navy painted stripes…
And since the kitchen and dining room are open to one another, I used navy paint for the stripe on the roman shade.
Here is the material ready to proceed.
And a quick closeup of the stripe.
Taking my math measurements from earlier I made two folds in the material using a tape measure to get the folds even and more importantly, lined up with the bottom stripe.
Once I was happy with that I flipped the whole thing over and glued the folds into place.
Half way through the project, Jim surprised me by building me a much needed glue gun holder. The old plastic one had seen better days for sure. The copper part is removable for easy cleaning and also replacable if necessary.
Ready to see…
So thats how I made no-sew faux roman shades using drop cloths. Total cost approximately $10.
Oh and see that poinsettia on the counter. Still watering it. In March.