A few final pictures. I didn’t get a chance to take many pictures of building the screens. But here’s a few points to remember.
Rolls of screen can be purchased at hardware stores but don’t overlook glass/windshield companies. Typically a windshield repair business also does commercial glass repair. And that can also involve making custom size screens. So they either have the screen, aluminum frame parts (sold in 13ft lengths here in Canada) and plastic corner pieces. Either have them make them or you can make your own. Since mine were all different sizes I decided to make my own. And the roof pitch was an obstacle too. They don’t make corner pieces to match anything other than 90 degrees. Having said that, the parts are plastic… and plastic melts. So I simply used a lighter to soften the plastic and quicker bend them into shape.
If you are making large screens like these, its a good idea to make a jig. Basically, bits of blocking to keep the aluminum frame parts in place. You will quickly discover that when you are rolling the screen into place with the black foam core, the screen will want to “squeeze” the longer sides together. Think of an hourglass shape, only not that extreme. You get the idea.
I initially had the screens kept in place with the plastic turn tabs usually associated with screens but given the windy conditions at times, the screen panels (due to their size) simply bowed out of shape. In effect, popping out of place.
[followup: It happened so much I eventually took all the screens out at the beginning of the winter and the following spring I bought stainless steel pan head screws and permanently put the screens in place. No more blow out 🙂 ]
So, here are the final pictures. Thanks for reading along.
Here I found the simplest solution was to simply cut around the plug and use the vinyl siding plastic fame to hold the cut out in place. I had purposely make this screen a bit slack to accommodate the stretching needed for this to work.