The weather is holding at decent temperatures for working outdoors. When I said we hoped to have the ground leveled out before winter I thought it was a pipe dream. Here is where we left off…
Never thought I would say this but we started expanding the work yard today. Going inwards on each side of the road about 30-40 ft. For now it will be a place to put flitches and rejects off the mill. Afterwards it’ll be space for a couple 10×20 sheds. Its a sloped hill, so dirt removed from the left side will be used to fill in the right side.
Equipment maintenance is important. You work hard for your money so when you spend that money on something, you want that something to last as long as possible. When it comes to big and small engines, the common maintenance task is the oil change. An hour meter can solve that problem.
Today we install one on a saw mill. The best part is its super easy.
Happy Thanksgiving. We had a busy weekend.
On Friday afternoon, we met up with Dave Restoule, the arborist we worked with a few times before to take down the remaining trees at my Moms place. In May (hard to believe it was that long ago) we worked with Dave to take down, I think it was 4 maple trees that were 70 feet tall. Got a nice bit of firewood from those. Some were rotten at the base though.
Monday afternoon we made a small dent in our poplar logs. It wasn’t an ideal day for milling with the wind blowing sawdust everywhere.
Saturday was a wash out but Sunday was the most beautiful day ever. We woke up our first frost of the season on the windshield of the truck but that quickly disappeared and we were left with clear blue skies and 16 degrees, perfect fall weather for working outdoors.
Whats left of the load of poplar logs we had delivered in May have to be sawn before winter so we decided we better get at it.
On the weekend we started on the second side of the shipping container board and batten project.
We didn’t waste any time getting back to operation cleanup!! The next morning we headed out and first up was loading the newly re-built wood bin with the pile of maple firewood we picked up for free in Guysborough. We had to cut and split them. I just set aside any that were too large and they would be split smaller later.
Before we move on to the other side of the shipping container we decided to do a much needed cleanup of our work area. In the background of this pic you can see the 2 large piles of logs that need to be dealt with.
Finally a perfect storm of good cooler weather and Jim feeling better got us back out to work on the shipping container board and batten.