The north side of the house does not see much sun, and the moss and mildew grows unabated. Every couple years I get up to clean it off. I am using a Jeep brand mildew remover, I’m on the last little bit. I ran out near the end and sprayed on some Spray-Nine cleaner. Honestly, it could of been the same product, same smell, same results. Continue reading Clean up day at the house→
Well I finally gave up on trying to break up the embankment with the skidsteer while waiting for local contractors to show up (over a year waiting). The soil got too compact for me to break into, so I called a company from a nearby town. Blaine MacLane Excavation did a site visit on Saturday and Tuesday morning they showed up. Robert was the operator and he did a excellent job. I easily recommend them again for any work. For them, no job is too small or too big.
Sad to discover this pine tree down across the road today. 🙁 It was at a turn in the road, we kept the tree trimmed over the years leaving just enough branches to walk or drive under. No more.
Always sad to see an otherwise healthy tree go down. Apparently though it did not have much of a root ball, so that played a part in its demise.
If the tree had fallen anywhere else I’d leave it alone, as it might still continue to grow even like that. But its in the road we use, so I don’t know what we’ll do there, mostly likely cut it down and salvage what we can for woodworking projects and the rest will go for the fireplace.
Had what I call a good day today in the yard. After performing the annual chimney sweep in the morning, the afternoon was filled with seat time in the MTL (skidsteer), moving dirt and digging with the backhoe.
Stupid gopro camera stopped recording when I got going with the backhoe. Its done that before, not sure why. The camera was on a tripod so it wasn’t getting bumped around, which is the usual culprit.
Also got some dirt screening done. The screener I built has lived up to its expectations. As I need rock or soil, I dump down a load of dirt. Rocks fall on one side and the soil falls in a neat little pile for easy pick up.
Knowing that it was going to be along term project to remove the dirt behind the workshop I had to choose what type of machinery I was going to need to get the job done. Renting a backhoe was out of the question because the amount of time needed to have one on hand, would cost as much as buying one. Neither of which is affordable. So I went with the option of purchasing an attachment for the skidsteer.
Got some more seat time in the CAT this evening. Its been slow progress moving the dirt, as I don’t seem to get much time. The days are getting shorter now, and hopefully the days will get a bit cooler.
Slowly making my way to levelling out the hill in behind the workshop. The Big Arm attachment is made in Canada by Horst Welding in Ontario. Also making use of the screener I built for sifting the soil.