I found a burl cutoff in a forest clearing the other day and instantly saw a bowl. Now, I’ve never carved a bowl before, or for that matter use a chainsaw to carve. But, I’m game to try anything once. And this was fun! Things to note…you need a really sharp cutting chain, a steady hand and preferably a secure place to hold the burl while carving out the bowl. I didn’t really have a secure place so I buried it in a pile of bark mulch near my workshop. Then I started up the saw…
A friend asked me to take a look at a deck that was built many years ago. He recently fixed up some of the exterior fencing and now the deck needs some real TCL. Wow…no kidding. An hour into it I had to stop and call him. There’s some SERIOUS rot going on at the house threshold.
After this house was built it was up to the homeowner to install deck railings. So we decided to go with a picket style in the front of the house (facing the road) and a glass panel system for the rear of the home (facing the lake). I designed my own framing system for installing the glass panels.
Yes, its been 10 days but the weather hasn’t always co-operated either. Then there’s weekends…all that’s left is the gate and to cut off the tops of the posts. Interestingly, the sound around the pool has changed. Its a lot more crisp and clear.
There were a couple days where it rained hard, thankfully we had the garage to work from to do all the cutting.
The decision to replace a dusty rose colored pile carpet with gunstock colored solid oak hardwood flooring was an easy one. Doing the work was a little bit more labour intensive but the result was beautiful.
The previous walkway was two layers of asphalt pavement. I rented a pneumatic jack hammer that ran on 110v plug in. REAL easy to use and easily made short work of removing pavement. The best $55 spent on what would have been very labour intesive work. The pavement was removed to be replaced with a wooden walkway.
The original step came straight out from the front doorway. I decided it would be interesting to turn the step to line up with the exiting flower beds. Posts were installed with built in lighting and railing with a double top rail and alternating vertical panels.
What started out as a simple front step replacement eventually turned into a complete overhaul of the front landscape of my neighbour’s home. The original concrete step remains. The frame was built over it, resting on it. The extension of the deck sits on deck concrete blocks.