A friend asked me to take a look at a deck that was built many years ago. He recently fixed up some of the exterior fencing and now the deck needs some real TCL. Wow…no kidding. An hour into it I had to stop and call him. There’s some SERIOUS rot going on at the house threshold.
The design of the mechanism that raised and lowered the crosswind plastic windows did not compensate for strong winds. When the wind blows from certain directions, it catches the end openings when the plastic is in the lowered position. He asked if the mechanism could be sheilded. I built what I call “wind jammers” and I fixed a few other things while there.
A friend up the road asked for some help with siding his garage. He lives only a short distance from me so I was glad to help out. Pictured here are the before and after. It took us a couple of days to finish.
I totally gutted the kitchen and replaced it with the set shown below. This was a fairly straight forward job. The hardwood flooring went in later. The cabients are made from Newfoundland Birch, with a natural finish. The cabinet system was part of a kitchen manufacturer’s store display and I purchased it at a 60% discount price. Luckily all the parts fit with two base cabinets left over.
The previous walkway was two layers of asphalt pavement. I rented a pneumatic jack hammer that ran on 110v plug in. REAL easy to use and easily made short work of removing pavement. The best $55 spent on what would have been very labour intesive work. The pavement was removed to be replaced with a wooden walkway.
What started out as a simple front step replacement eventually turned into a complete overhaul of the front landscape of my neighbour’s home. The original concrete step remains. The frame was built over it, resting on it. The extension of the deck sits on deck concrete blocks.
A neighbor had a whole new kitchen installed and they had the foresight to disassemble the previous kitchen cabinets piece by piece. The old set was solid oak and was too good to waste. So they wanted cupboards in the laundry room. The pictures above are the result. The only piece of material I bought was a sheet of 3/4 oak plywood for the storage cabinet. Its amazing what can be done wha little bit of recycled lumber.