The metal roofing on the second side was installed in the morning and I added the ridge cap after lunch. This product offered by Vicwest is easy to work with.
This morning we spent in town getting some lumber and hardware supplies so we didn’t get back until about lunch time. Our neighbor Hugh showed up again and helped install the single door and the garage door as well as two layers of felt paper on the roof. Then I fell off the roof…
Today is soffit and fascia installation. Other than breaking for lunch and supper, this is pretty much all we did until the sun disappeared behind the lake.
Today my father-in-law lends a helping hand. Gina and I built and installed the gable ends and eaves made with 2×6 and finished installing the last of the sheet goods in the walls where the wall sections were joined together.
Here is one reason why we chose this spot to build a home.
We get a lot of comments about the steepness of the driveway.
For anybody who doubted my comments about how much backfill was necessary. When I said over 100 loads, I was not kidding.
Today Gina and I finished the back wall and the remaining side wall sections. Then in the early morning we had some help putting up all the sections and got started on the trusses before the rain stopped us.
This is simply a photo I took the next morning from Gina’s parents house, where we are staying while the house is being built. Breakfast is done, time to get busy.
Aug 11, 2005 – We moved here 2 days ago. Time to get busy. The 20×30 ft garage kit arrives from Central Home Improvement in Antigonish. Great pricing!
The previous walkway was two layers of asphalt pavement. I rented a pneumatic jack hammer that ran on 110v plug in. REAL easy to use and easily made short work of removing pavement. The best $55 spent on what would have been very labour intesive work. The pavement was removed to be replaced with a wooden walkway.
The original step came straight out from the front doorway. I decided it would be interesting to turn the step to line up with the exiting flower beds. Posts were installed with built in lighting and railing with a double top rail and alternating vertical panels.
What started out as a simple front step replacement eventually turned into a complete overhaul of the front landscape of my neighbour’s home. The original concrete step remains. The frame was built over it, resting on it. The extension of the deck sits on deck concrete blocks.