Buildings

Kiln Shed: Siding

I had to look back through our posts to see when we last worked on the kiln shed. Apparently my memory is not what it used to be. I thought it was just a couple of weeks ago. Turns out, it was back in April when we put the metal roof on. How time flies. With the good weather this week we plan to get the siding started and finished. There I said it. Here is the shed when we last finished working on it.

kiln shed,metal roof
Looks familiar

For the siding we are going to use poplar boards we milled last summer.

kiln shed,siding,poplar
Poplar

We also used poplar for the board and batten on the shipping container.

shipping container,board and batten,saw milling,logs to lumber
Still looks good

The boards on the shipping container have weathered over the winter, starting to turn more grey.

Back to the kiln shed… we didn’t need to start up the skidsteer to haul over a pallet of poplar boards just yet cause we happened to have a stack close by. Once we started we got into a groove. I would lay out 3 or 4 boards on the sawhorses and Jim would square up the first end of each board.

kiln shed,poplar,siding
Getting started

I flipped the boards around and Jim measured them to length, and made the second cut. The bottom of the boards are being cut on an angle incase any moisture gets in behind, it will drip off easier.

kiln shed,poplar,siding
Awesome

Since these boards have dried for a year we aren’t adding battens like we did with the shipping container. Just straight siding with the boards placed right next to each other. There shouldn’t be much, if any, shrinkage.

kiln shed,poplar,siding
Taking shape

It was late the first afternoon we started working on it, then a neighbour dropped by. The rest of the afternoon was shot.

On our second afternoon of siding we managed to get the first side finished…

kiln shed,poplar,siding
Putting on the last board

…then proceeded around the corner. Now. We had a decision to make. The short end is a gable end. (I knew you knew that) Either stager the boards from the roof line to the bottom, or continue the line from the long side across the back. We decided to go with plan B.

We wanted to create a drip edge between the gable boards and the wall boards. Jim disappeared into the workshop and came back with the perfect pieces. Something you may or may not know about Jim, he doesn’t throw anything away. I mean NOTHING.  Here is a perfect example. These pieces are from when our house was built 11 years ago. That means, for 11 years he has been holding on to these waiting for the perfect time to put them to use.

kiln shed,poplar,siding
Hoarding comes in handy

With the drip edge in place we started working on the wall boards. We got this far when we finished the first pallet of boards.

kiln shed,poplar,siding
One full pallet of boards used so far

Jim got the skidsteer out and put the forks on to bring over another pallet of wood.

skidsteer,poplar,siding
Looks like more work

We managed to get the short wall finished up in the second afternoon.

kiln shed,poplar,siding
Half way done

Next up will be the second long wall, plus the gable on the back and front. Then the door will be last. Hopefully by Friday all siding and gable ends will be finished. I said it again!

Later

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This is a showcase environment. Please contact us for purchases. Dismiss